Eluder sent to prison in Highway 50 chase

Tyler Michael Vincent Smith

Tyler Michael Vincent Smith

A man who forced a deputy into oncoming traffic during a high-speed pursuit on Highway 50 was sentenced to 2-5 years in prison on Tuesday.

Tyler Michael Vincent Smith, 38, tearfully begged District Judge Tod Young not to send him to prison in connection with the Oct. 26, 2022, chase.

Attorney Matthew Ence asked for a suspended sentence, saying his client required substance abuse and mental health treatment.

He said he’d been offered a job at a local restaurant by another inmate, which would help him to make the $11,890.12 in restitution for the damage he did to patrol vehicles trying to stop him.

Prosecutor James Sibley argued that the Smith wasn’t found either with or on drugs when he was arrested and attributed his behavior to road rage.

He called Highway 50 one of the most dangerous stretch of highway in the county.

“It’s a miracle he’s not here with blood on his hands,” he said.

Prosecutors agreed to seek no more than eight years in prison and Sibley said that because the two felonies Smitha admitted were from the same incident, he had no problem if they were served simultaneously.

Young sentenced Smith to 2-5 years in prison on the two charges and ordered him to pay the nearly $12,000 in restitution.

According to court documents, Smith was speeding on Highway 50 in a passenger van near Skyland when he was pulled over. When the deputy asked Smith to pull all the way off the highway, Smith took off, serving into oncoming traffic. At one point, Smith slammed on his brakes and swerved to push the deputy into oncoming traffic.

The van was finally pinned against the wall and deputies arrested him at gunpoint.

• A Gardnerville Ranchos man is denying charges of eluding deputies and is seeking a speedy trial.

Brandon Pete Brown, 33, is facing a charge of attempted eluding of a peace officer. A May 10-12 trial was set.

Brown was arrested Feb. 15 after being spotted in Gardnerville by a deputy who knew he didn’t have a valid license, according to court documents.

The pursuit down Highway 395 allegedly reached speeds of 114 mph before Brown turned onto Riverview and entered the Ranchos. Rather than continue into the crowded neighborhoods deputies broke off the pursuit but were able to locate Brown after he called his girlfriend in the jail.

Attorney Martin Hart said he was in negotiations with prosecutors and could have a resolution later this month.

Brown has been in custody since his arrest in lieu of $16,372 bail, according to jail records.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment