Bighorns lose in overtime to Raiders

The Oasis Academy Bighorns boys lacrosse team returned to action after a six week hiatus on Friday, losing to Reed in overtime, 13-12.

The Bighorns returned to action on Thursday at Reno and will host a doubleheader on Saturday, facing Galena at 11 a.m., followed by Douglas High School at 2 p.m.

The rust was evident in the first quarter with numerous dropped passes and missed shots.

Nevertheless, the Bighorns drew first blood off a blistering shot by midfielder Josh Carter. The Raiders won the ensuing faceoff and dodged to the top of the crease looking for the equalizer, but the shot was stopped by goalie Conor Keitz, filling in for the Bighorns, who played the game with only 13 players available on the roster.

Attackman Koda Biggs added a goal for the Bighorns, but Reed managed to pull even. Attackman Trey Rooks scored his first of five goals to take the lead again, but Reed was able to score late to end the quarter tied at 3.

In the second quarter, Rooks began to take over, scoring a hat trick in the second quarter alone. Carter added another goal, but Reed stayed even, trading goals with Oasis, and the half ended tied at 7. In the second half, Samuel Robertson took over in goal, and after allowing one quick goal, he closed the cage with eight consecutive saves. Reed got their first lead midway through the third quarter, and the teams again began trading goals, ending the third quarter with Reed holding a two goal lead.

Biggs scored his second goal and Rooks scored his fifth goal in the fourth quarter, drawing the teams even at 10. Rooks then scored his sixth goal to give the Bighorns a one goal lead, but after a stick check, his stick was deemed to be illegal, and the goal was washed out.

The three minute personal foul for the illegal stick resulted in Rooks sitting five minutes in penalties, and being disqualified for the last five minutes of the game. Down to twelve players, the Bighorns defense, led by Nicholas Delgado, managed to keep the shots down, while midfielders Cole Hamlin and Randall Kelsey took care of the ground balls.

Down to the final thirty seconds, Midfielder Patrick Morrow managed to win the faceoff and moved the ball to the offense. Carter called for a screen, and Kelsey set a perfect pick. Carter rolled around the screen, while the defender ran straight into Kelsey, knocking him backwards. Carter scored the go-ahead goal with 3 seconds on the clock, but the goal was washed out with a call of a moving screen on Kelsey, sending the game into overtime.

On the ensuing faceoff, Reed moved the ball to the offensive zone. An attempted shot was blocked by Delgado, but Reed’s leading scorer managed to pick up the ground ball in the scrum, and quickly deposited it in the back of the net for the win.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment