Fire renders Indian HIlls home uninhabitable

An Indian Hills family of six was left homeless when a barbecue set the home they were living in on fire Wednesday evening.

The fire was reported at about 6:40 p.m. at 3359 Placer Court when a neighbor spotted the fence and the wall of the home on fire.

At the time, winds estimated at 30 mph were blowing through the space between the homes.

Resident Teresa Jackson spotted the fire at about the same time and got four children living in the home outside, three girls age 10-12 and a 10 month old baby boy.

East Fork Fire Capt. Terry Taylor said Jackson also rescued the family's dogs and stayed in the front yard as firefighters from Sunridge, Minden, Carson City, Johnson Lane and Genoa responded to the two-alarm blaze.

"The fire did extensive damage to the master bedroom, outside wall, south side of the home and the attic," Taylor said. "Extreme heat bubbled the paint on an adjacent home and embers from the shake roof flew into the wildland."

No one was hurt in the fire, but both Teresa and her husband Brian were left without clothing.

The American Red Cross put the family up for the night Wednesday and the East Fork Firefighters Fund donated $1,000 to them while they seek a new place to live.

Taylor said they'd rented the house on Placer for about 10 years.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment