Second domestic battery conviction earns jail sentence

A 31-year-old Indian Hills man accused of threatening a woman with an ax and hitting her 6-year-old son in the leg with a ketchup bottle was sentenced Wednesday to six months in Douglas County Jail.

Michael Brian Proctor was arrested Oct. 20 after deputies heard a child yelling "don't kill my mom" as they investigated a domestic battery call in the 800 block of Coloma Drive.

Proctor was taken into custody at gunpoint and has remained in Douglas County Jail.

He is awaiting sentencing Jan. 12 in District Court for felony driving under the influence and has a hold from Carson City for a traffic citation.

He pleaded guilty Wednesday to his second offense of battery that constitutes domestic violence.

Charges of coercion, destruction of property and assault were dismissed in exchange for Proctor's guilty plea.

"You won't quit drinking and you get progressively more violent. You hurt people when you drink and you know that," said East Fork Justice Jim EnEarl.

Proctor said he wanted to quit drinking.

"I truly hope you do turn it around," EnEarl said. "Someone's going to die if you don't. It may be you. You have a tendency to resist arrest when you're drunk."

The victim did not appear in court on Wednesday.

According to reports, she and her son were crying hysterically outside the child's bedroom early Oct. 20, and deputies said it took about 20 minutes to calm them.

The woman had dried blood on her lip.

She said the three of them had been watching a children's movie and when it was over, she put her son to bed and fell asleep.

She said Proctor burst into the boy's bedroom a few hours later and called her names. He allegedly hit her with a broom and threatened to kill her with an ax.

She told deputies she held the child to her to protect him as Proctor kicked her. At one point, she said Proctor threw a ketchup bottle at the child and hit his leg.

She managed to lock the suspect out, and she and the child crawled out a window before he kicked in the door. She came back to the residence and the argument continued until deputies arrived.

The little boy told officers that Proctor threw a lamp on his mother's head and threatened to kill her.

Deputies said phone lines were pulled out and batteries removed from portable phones.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment