Gardnerville duo takes battle of bands to Carson

Gardnerville duo Mary with a K is competing in this weekend's Jester Joust in the parking lot of the Carson Nugget in Carson City.

They are participating in the battle of the bands fundraiser that will benefit the Children's Museum of Northern Nevada.

Lead singer Kelly Young said she and Adrienne Souter will be going on stage at 1:15 p.m. Saturday and have a shot at playing again on Sunday if they do well.

Because they're a duo and won't need much set-up time they will get a good chunk of an hour to play their music.

"We'll get to play a lot more of our songs," Kelly said. "We play a little bit of blues, a little bit of country and a little bit of folk. We harmonize sometimes. I'm the singer and she's the guitar player and sings back-up vocals."

Kelly and Adrienne have been playing music together for about a year and a half. Kelly met Adrienne at her sister Kary's work. It is Kary who is responsible for the duo's name, because when Adrienne used to call her over the loudspeaker she would say Mary with a K.

"We've been playing really strong for a year and a half, working things through," Kelly said. "We're both moms and I go to school fulltime and work, so we get out and play when we can."

The women used to play at Nelson's open mic night before the Gardnerville bistro closed.

Kelly has lived in Carson Valley for a long time, having attended Meneley Elementary School, Carson Valley Middle School and graduating from Douglas High.

Adrienne and Kelly have about 20 original songs and will have time for about 10 on Saturday.

Kelly said family and friends will be turning out on Saturday to root for the duo.

"I've been here for a long time now, we know some people here," she said.

For anyone interested in attending, the battle begins at 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday and costs $5 per day or $7 for a weekend pass. Children 10 and under are free.

There will be cash prizes for first, second and third place finalists. Bands will be judged by a panel which will count for 40 percent of the score. The other 60 percent will come from voting by the audience.

n n n

The Town of Genoa recognized longtime resident Bill Brooks on Tuesday for his work to move the emergency generator.

Bill, whose got a talent for things electrical, worked with Tom Peters to get the generator moved after it was frozen up and inoperable for the last two years in a row, including the New Year's flood, which some might consider and emergency.

In a speech to the more than 40 people there Brook said each person brings a unique skill to help the town.

"I'm reminded of what Felice Bingham said to me," he said. "Bill, we've been fortunate enough to live here. We hope to leave Genoa a little better than when we found it."

Martin Slough was officially renamed Jake's Wetland & Wildlife Meadow in honor of Sen. Lawrence Jacobsen, R-Minden.

Town board member Bob Hadfield made the motion at Wednesday night's regular meeting.

That meant I lost my bet on my personal favorite, On Golden Ponds Wetland Observatory.

The longest name proposed was the All God's Creatures Great and Small Wetlands Observatory. The shortest was the Sierra Breeze Estuary. OK, the shortest was really Centennial Slough, but I really wanted to type estuary.

n Kurt Hildebrand is editor of The Record-Courier. Reach him at or 782-5121, ext. 215.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment