Hearing set in fatal Jacks Valley accident

Terms of house arrest for a suspect in a fatal traffic accident were amended Wednesday to allow the man to receive counseling from his priest and attend 12-step meetings.

East Fork Justice Jim EnEarl also set a March 1 preliminary hearing to determine whether there is enough evidence for two felony charges to stand against Michael Cordero Perez, 32, of Minden.

Perez was charged with driving under the influence causing death or substantial bodily harm and driving under the influence of alcohol and controlled substance causing death or substantial bodily harm.

He was arrested following a Dec. 20 collision on Jacks Valley Road that killed 42-year-old Robin Moroney.

His lawyer, Tod Young, asked for the changes in house arrest.

"He has had several job offers, but hasn't taken those," Young said. "He's asked to be allowed to come to my office and to go to a meeting with his priest and attend a 12-step meeting once a week."

EnEarl said the requests were reasonable.

"Both seem worthwhile," EnEarl said. "It would certainly not harm him to talk to his parish priest or attend a 12-step meeting."

Addressing Perez, EnEarl said he imagined the suspect was troubled by the allegations against him.

"Some lives have been destroyed and damaged by this and yours, certainly, is one of them," EnEarl said. "I imagine you lie awake and think about them and it causes you not to sleep."

"Every night," Perez said.

"I can tell you his life is not the one he thinks about," Young said.

According to court documents, Perez admitted drinking two beers an hour before the accident.

He also told investigators he had a permit from California to use medical marijuana and had ingested the controlled substance Dec. 18.

According to the Nevada Highway Patrol, Perez was southbound on Jacks Valley Road near Bavarian Drive when a witness said he crossed the double-yellow line, overcorrected, and collided with Moroney's vehicle about 5:25 p.m. Dec. 20.

Moroney had to be extricated from her vehicle and was taken by CareFlight to Washoe Medical Center in Reno, where she died of her injuries.

Perez was treated for moderate injuries.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment