Freshman hits game-winner for Grizzlies

RENO -- Freshman Derek Lorenzen was the one who took the shot to win in overtime for the Galena High School boys basketball team on Friday night.

No problem.

Lorenzen's 10-footer from the right side of the key hit nothing but net with 2.8 seconds left in overtime to give the Grizzlies their final lead in a 66-59 non-conference victory at home against Castlemont (Oakland).

David Thompson and Joe Heaton combined to knock down five of six free throws after three technical fouls were called against Castlemont's bench at the end, as Galena (4-3) rallied back from five-point deficits in the fourth quarter and in overtime.

Heaton came off the bench to score a game-high 23 points, while Robinson added 14 and Lorenzen 12. Lorenzen wasn't expecting to get the last shot, but then again, the 6-foot-3 forward wasn't about to pass up an opportunity like that.

"It was either going to be Joe or David, so no I didn't expect it, but I wanted to get it," Lorenzen said. "Dalton (Turnbow) had the ball and he passed out to me. I was open, so I took it."

Coach Tom Maurer had no qualms when he saw the shot go up,

"He doesn't play like a freshman," Maurer said. "This is a kid who knows the game. He plays like a junior with his knowledge and fundamental skills. And I'm happy because he's going to be with me for four years."

Castlemont led 52-47 with 2:48 left in regulation, but the Knights only scored two more points down the stretch. Meanwhile, Whip Thompson buried a 3-pointer from the left corner off an assist from Robinson and Heaton drove for two layups, the last with 20.4 seconds remaining to send the game to overtime tied at 54.

"I thought the kids did a good job defensively at the end of regulation to get us to overtime," Maurer said. "Our defense stopping them at the end, I thought that was the key."

Castlemont regained the lead at the outset of overtime when Donald Smith fed Chris Green for a layup. Then Lonnie Addison buried an open 3-pointer from the right corner to make it 59-54 with 2:17 showing on the clock.

Castlemont had a chance to maintain its lead, but after grabbing three rebounds on the offensive end before Turnbow tied the ball up. With the possession arrow pointing Galena's way, the Grizzlies got the ball.

Galena capitalized on the opportunity when Robinson grabbed an offensive rebound and passed the ball out to Heaton, who knocked down a 3-pointer to tie the score at 59.

"That jump ball was a big play," Maurer said. "I thought Dalton played a great game. He got some big rebounds, and he did a good job overall."

Finally, it was Turnbow who fought off double team defense in the key to get the pass out to an open Lorenzen for the go-ahead shot.

Green scored 18 points and Addison added 16 to lead the Knights (2-5), who are looking to compete against a tough Oakland Athletic League that features nationally-ranked Oakland Tech. Green and Addison combined to score 12 points during a 16-0 run that erased Galena's 34-23 halftime lead.

"When you give up a 13-point halftime lead like we've been doing lately, it was nice to see them battle back," Maurer said with a smile. "I thought we did a good job of coming back there. We held our composure and we did the job at the end."

Lorenzen said this was a good win to pick up before the Grizzlies resume High Desert League play at home on Tuesday.

"This was a big one for us," he said. "This will give us some confidence and help us win some more games. And Fallon is a big one coming up Tuesday."


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment