Falcons grab first postseason win
February 17, 2017
Grace Bonafede had 16 points and 10 rebounds Thursday afternoon as the Sierra Lutheran girls basketball team posted a historic 39-27 win against Wells in opening round play of the Northern 1A Region Tournament in Elko.
Sierra Lutheran (19-7 overall, 13-1 league) started fast in a game played at Adobe Middle School and went to secure the first postseason win in program history.
Clare Davison also scored 11 points and handed out seven assists, while Brynna Hansen added six points for the Falcons, who advanced into a semifinal matchup against Eureka on Friday afternoon at Elko High School.
Sierra Lutheran scored nine unanswered points to take a 9-3 lead over Wells at the end of one quarter.
Wells (17-11, 5-5) got to within 11-9 in the second quarter, however, the Falcons increased their lead to 17-12 at halftime.
Sierra Lutheran began the third quarter with an 8-0 run to increase its lead to 25-12 and led 27-17 at the end of three quarters. The Leopards never got any closer than eight points after that.
Recommended Stories For You
Sierra Lutheran eventually led by as many as 16 points.
Trending In: Sports
- Police helicopter clipping power lines will require Carson-Reno artery to close for two mornings to fix
- Former volleyball coach in custody for lewdness
- Valley residents gathering donations for Paradise victims
- Fish farm seeks two more years
- 2010 Story Mom charged with leaving 12-year-old alone while she’s in LA