Boys play dramatic soccer game |

Boys play dramatic soccer game

by Chuck Smock, Record-Courier sports editor

Douglas seniors Gieorag Andrews and Rob Honer took turns creating scoring opportunities all afternoon against Carson on Wednesday at DHS.

So it was only fitting that the two Tigers teamed up for Douglas’ most dramatic goal of the season.

Andrews sent a give-and-go pass to Honer, who returned the ball to Andrews just outside the Carson penalty.

After settling the ball and quickly reading an approaching defender, Andrews blasted a shot off the diving Carson goalkeeper’s hand and into the side netting.

The goal allowed the Tigers to salvage a 2-2 tie with the rival Senators. There were 35 seconds showing on the game clock when Andrew’s shot hit the net.

“I’m happy with our team because we didn’t give up,” Honer said.

“That showed a lot of heart,” Andrews added. “And that’s a good thing this early in the season.”

The Tigers struggled with their possession game in the first half, but managed to play well enough to keep the Senators from building a big advantage.

Carson took a 1-0 lead in the 14th minute. Douglas answered with 3:30 to play in the half when Henry Leon pushed up from his defensive position and scored off an assist from Chris Bargman.

Philip Sheridan’s team regrouped after the intermission.

“I thought we outplayed them in the second half,” the Tigers coach said. “I think they were fortunate that we didn’t put a few in, but we were fortunate to get one at the end. I’m real pleased my kids didn’t fold. With less than one minute, they were still determined they could beat them.

“It was a hard-fought game. I give them (the Senators) credit. We’ll see them again.”

Midway through the second half, Honer just missed scoring goals on two headers. The first, a running attempt from six yards out, went just wide. The second, which came on a pass from Andrews after he had beaten a defender one-on-one, was saved by the Carson goalie.

With nine minutes to play, Blake Hennessy-York carried a ball deep into the Carson penalty box. He collided with the Carson keeper and a defender before gathering the loose ball and hitting an off-balance shot that slipped just wide of the post.

If Carson was worried, it didn’t show. The Senators counter-attacked after the Hennessy-York threat and pushed the ball the length of the field to score and take a 2-1 lead with 8:30 left in the game.

Five minutes later, Andrews set up another Tiger scoring opportunity when he hit Honer with a pass in the middle of the Carson penalty box. Honer was alone for a second, but the Senators’ defenders swarmed quickly, preventing him from cleanly striking the shot on goal.

The Tigers (5-0-2) will travel to play the Reno Huskies (5-0-2) today at 11 a.m.