Remember When for Aug. 18
95 years ago
Aug. 20, 1915
When the University of Nevada opens on Aug. 30 the indications are that it will begin its most prosperous year. Applications for admission have been received universally from the high schools of the state, and where last year there were two freshmen from a community, this year there have been applications from 12, and in many cases the entire graduating classes from the local high schools are entering the university this fall.
80 years ago
Aug. 22, 1930
Henry Rosenbrock Jr., 14-year-old Gardnerville youth, won the national junior trap shooting championship at Vandalia, Ohio. In the national contest young Rosenbrock broke 93 bluerocks out of a possible 100 and tied for first honors. In the shoot-off, Rosenbrock took the lead and at no time was in danger of losing the title of being the best boy trap shooter in this country. His achievement has not only brought fame to himself, but to Carson Valley and the State of Nevada as well.
50 years ago
Aug. 18, 1960
Photo caption. Re-elected officers on the Carson Water Subconservancy District include R.A. Kimmerling, vice-president; Leonard Anker, secretary-treasurer; Edwin C. Sarman, president. Organized Sept. 18, 1959, the District contracts through the Carson-Truckee Water Conservancy District for supplemental and full-service irrigation water supplies resulting from construction of the $53 million Washoe Project. Parts of Douglas, Ormsby and Lyon counties are in the District. Area in general is that drained by the Carson River above Lahontan Reservoir.
25 years ago
Aug. 15, 1985
The youngest and the oldest Pony Express riders from this year’s 2,000-mile 125th anniversary re-ride will take part in another miniature version of the Pony Express ride this weekend. The occasion is a special commemorative ride when Clint Ayler, 9, begins his trek to Markleeville from Woodfords. During the ride, which ends with Carson Valley’s Fred Dressler, 87, mochillas will carry donations and letters of support from California Gov. George Deukmejian and Nevada Gov. Richard Bryan.
10 years ago
Aug. 19, 2000
Douglas High School students will begin school next week under the watchful eye of electronic video cameras. The Douglas County School Board approved the $48,720 cameras at its August board meeting. Business Services Director Rick Kester said J-Tronics Inc. of Reno was awarded the bid and installed 17 cameras on campus this week. Kester said the cameras were placed around the school and in the parking lot so the entire school will be covered.
A look at past issues of The Record-Courier by Sharlene Irete.