Obituary: Marie Lowy Goodrich
Marie “G.G.” Lowy Goodrich, 94, a Carson City resident, passed away on Dec. 8, 2003, on the eve of her 95th birthday, at Evergreen Mountain View Care Center.
She was born Dec. 9, 1908 in Manhattan Borough, N.Y. to Charles S. Lowy and Bertha Baruth Lowy. She graduated from high school in Bronx, N.Y. She married Walter Cosgrove Jones on March 19, 1926 who died Oct. 24, 1945. She then married Leon R. Goodrich Aug. 24, 1954, and he died on Nov. 12, 1965.
During World War II, Marie did her part by working at the North American Aviation plant in El Monte, Calif. In 1952, Marie went to work at the Sister Kenny Polio Hospital in El Monte. She also worked at White Memorial Hospital in Los Angeles from 1954 to 1959.
She moved to Carson City in 1959 and went to work at the Carson-Tahoe Hospital (the one that burned down) where she was employed from 1959 to 1963.
In 1963 she went to work at the Carson City Post Office and moved to the new post office on Washington Street when it opened. She retired from the post office in 1980 and continued living in Carson City. After retiring, she worked part-time for various motels and did volunteer work at Carson-Tahoe Hospital and other groups and organizations.
She loved her cat Missy and all her animals and pets. Each had a name and was cared for and fed well.
Her quick wit and ability to compose letters to the editor (which were usually published in the Nevada Appeal) attest to her creativeness. She never gave up trying, no matter how tough things got.
She was preceded in death by her twin sister Catherine Lowly Freeman in April 2001 and her brother Manny Lowy in 1943.
Surviving are her daughter Martha Abell of Seal Beach, Calif.; daughter Roberta Sprague of Sparks; son Harold Jones of Gardnerville; eight grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.
A celebration of her life will be at a later date. Marie donated her body for medical research at University of Nevada, Reno and as a result she and her twin sister are now in college.
FitzHenry’s Funeral Home in Carson City was entrusted with arrangements.