Man is hero for fire rescue
George Sznytzer is lucky to be alive today.
Fire broke out late Thursday night in his Ridgeview Estates modular home as Sznytzer was sleeping. He awoke to the clamor of Lydell B. Wyatt banging on his front door to alert him to the fire.
Wyatt said he just happened to be driving by and noticed the smoke and fire. He risked his own welfare to get Sznytzer awake and out of the residence.
Capt. Rich Riolo, fire investigator with the Nevada Division of Forestry, credited Wyatt with saving Sznytzer’s life. The fire burned so quickly, it destroyed the back end of double-wide modular home and the roof caved in.
Wyatt’s call to 911 was followed by the quick arrival of NDF and Carson City firefighters as well as volunteers from Jacks Valley and other East Fork volunteers.
Mr. Sznytzer’s welfare is in the hands of Red Cross as he seeks new housing.
The fire also serves as a reminder of the value of smoke detectors. Fire officials recommend you test smoke detectors once a month and exchange the batteries twice a year with the time change.
Lydell Wyatt doesn’t think he did anything out of the ordinary. But he saw the flames and went right to Sznytzer’s house, how many people might have seen the flames that night and kept on going?
What would you have done?