Letter: His own man
We are parents with children in the Douglas County schools. We urge you to re-elect George Echan as Area 3 (Lake Tahoe District) School Board Trustee.
George has been on the school board for two years. In that short time:
1. He has shown a fierce commitment to student achievement and higher academic standards.
2. He has championed the accountability of teachers, parents, the superintendent and the board of trustees. He has demonstrated the courage to keep his focus on student success despite organized attacks on the implementation of higher standards.
3. He has been at the forefront of district efforts to secure more funds from the Nevada Legislature so that teachers and other staff members may be fairly paid. In the long run, he believes that teachers should receive merit and bonus pay based on performance rather than increases based on seniority.
4. He opposed golden parachute clauses in contracts for the superintendent or any other administrative employees. This year George and other board members managed to reduce and limit district liability in the event of discharge, with or without cause, and regardless of contract length.
5. He has been completely accessible. He has met with teachers and visited classrooms, has attended parent club meetings and is active in the community. He returns phone calls and is more than willing to intercede at district and school levels.
George Echan is his own man. We need more leaders like George. We urge you to support him with your vote on Nov. 7.
Bill and Barbara Lane
and Kathleen Farrell