Women in History around the corner
March 19, is our annual Women In History Remembering Project reception. We will present our six candidates and their biographies at 2 p.m. with light refreshments following. This reception is open to the public and admission is free. Join us as we honor the following six women.
Mamie moved to Carson Valley in 1872 and married Eben Brown. They operated the Centerville Saloon. After Ebon died, she married Charles Brown in 1932. She died on New Year’s Day in 1949. Her funeral was held at the Carson Valley Methodist Church. Even though the day was 20 below, the church was overflowing with people sitting in their cars in the parking lot in her honor.
Ellen was born in Ely in 1925. She taught typing, shorthand and bookkeeping at Douglas High School from 1947 to 1979. She was also the adviser for the school newspaper, “The Tiger.” She was one of the best loved teachers the school ever had.
Born in Smith Valley, Eloise has lived her life immersed in the study and exploration of the history of the area. Eloise has been a valuable member of the Carson Valley Historical Society, which later became the Douglas County Historical Society. She put together almost all of the society’s old scrapbooks, making certain that the history would not be lost.
Dorcas came to Carson Valley in 1854 at the age of 6. Her family owned a hotel in Mountain House, south of Gardnerville. She was married to two sheriffs. In 1890 she moved to Carson City where she owned the St. Charles Hotel, then known as the Briggs House.
Linda retired to Douglas County in 1999. She has played the piano for Carson Valley Community Theater, Carson Valley Pops Orchestra, Douglas County Library and Melodramas for both the Douglas County Historical Society and the Dangberg Home Ranch Historic Park. She has also been involved in the High Sierra Fishing Club and the Never Give Up Crochet Group.
Alvina Bohlmann Wilslef
Alvina was a wonderful cook, making lunches for the children at Gardnerville Elementary School. She was excellent at crafts, making afghans for all her children. She was a volunteer for the American Legion Auxiliary. Her family ranch was one of the oldest on the East Fork of the Carson River – today known as part of the Ranchos and home to the Carson Valley Country Club.
The actual biographies and photographs of these six women will be on file at DCHS in the Van Sickle Library as well as at the Nevada Women’s History Project in Reno.
The family of Irene Marshall would like to thank all who attended her memorial on Saturday. She was a blessing to this community and will be sorely missed.
We at DCHS appreciate your support of our two museums and our efforts to preserve Douglas County history. For more information on becoming a member of the museum visit http://www.historicnv.org or call 782-2555.
Contact Ellen Caywood by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.