Pine View Estates home damaged in electrical fire |

Pine View Estates home damaged in electrical fire

Staff Reports

A fire on Connor Way in Pine View Estates started in the wiring to the smoke detector, the homeowner said Monday.

The fire was 7:52 p.m., resident Barbara Biase said.

“It was the wiring going to the smoke detector that started the fire,” she said.

Biase said the smoke alarms didn’t alert her to the fire.

“I was in the living room and the lights were flickering,” she said. “I looked out my window and nobody else’s lights were flickering. I heard the popping of the wiring and went out and turned off the breakers.”

East Fork firefighters responded to find light smoke coming from the eaves and attics. Firefighters deployed a salvage cover, cut a hole in the ceiling and knocked down the fire.

“East Fork crews did a fantastic job of knocking down the fire quickly,” Deputy Chief Dave Fogerson said.

Biase said firefighters did a great job when they arrived on scene.

“They did a pretty spectacular job at keeping the damage from being a lot worse,” she said.

Damage to the home included the roof trusses and the electrical system.

Residents were unable to spend the night in the home because the power was cut.

Firefighters were assisted by Douglas County Sheriff’s deputies, Douglas 911 dispatchers, and workers from NVEnergy and Bi-State Propane.

Fogerson pointed out this is the third fire in a week and urged residents to make sure their smoke detectors are in working order.

“Crews have reported to me that they have changed out quite a few smoke detector batteries while on medical calls over the last two weeks,” Fogerson said. “We encourage everyone to test their smoke detector and replace the batteries twice a year. The occupants on Connor heard some wiring arching and started to call 911.”