Man arrested in Minden on Sunday faces arson charges in Lyon after historic depot burns down |

Man arrested in Minden on Sunday faces arson charges in Lyon after historic depot burns down

Kurt Selzer
Douglas County Sheriff’s Office

Update: The headline of this story has been altered to correct that it’s not the Dayton Museum that burned down but the Historic Train Depot, which was being restored.

A 63-year-old Californian, who was arrested in Minden for making multiple 911 calls seeking food and money, is in Lyon County custody accused of arson on Wednesday after the Dayton Historic Depot appears to have been deliberately burned down.

Kurt Selzer of Ventura was found laying on the ground in Dayton State Park at 7:30 p.m. with a lighter and an empty jug of acetone near where two small brush fires had been set in the park, according to the Lyon County Sheriff’s Office.

He was booked into Lyon County Jail charged with two counts of third degree arson, with a bail set at $10,000.

Lyon investigators are calling the depot fire that occurred at 3:25 p.m. Wednesday on Main Street in Dayton apparent arson. Selzer has not yet been charged with that crime.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, Lyon deputies arrived to find the historic railroad depot, which once served the Carson and Colorado Railroad on fire. Two nearby buildings also suffered damage.

East Fork firefighters responded to assist Central Lyon County firefighters in extinguishing the blaze.

According to Lyon authorities, a second fire at Community Roots nursery was discovered. The fire didn’t damage any structures, but burned some of the landscaping.

Lyon investigators are asking that anyone with information about the fire contact the sheriff’s office at 775-463-6600.

Selzer was in Dayton when his East Fork case was called on Wednesday afternoon. A $250 bench warrant was issued for his arrest on a charge of misuse of 911.

Selzer was arrested on Sunday morning at a Minden motel after he’d called 911 five times that morning.

In one instance, he claimed he was in pain and was taken to Carson Valley Medical Center so, he later said, he could get a sandwich. He later called 911 to ask for $50 to make a long-distance phone call and again to accuse another guest of attacking him, though he couldn’t tell deputies how, exactly. As they were talking to him, Selzer allegedly went back into his motel room to make another 911 call.

At his arraignment in East Fork on Monday, Selzer claimed that he’d won $2,000 at a Minden casino but couldn’t collect the money because he didn’t have a photo ID.

He told the judge he would hire his own attorney and that he was starting a couple of businesses. 

His condition of release from jail was that he meet with the MOST Team to be evaluated and to stay away from the Minden motel.