Woman admits $100,000 embezzlement, may get probation | RecordCourier.com

Woman admits $100,000 embezzlement, may get probation

Staff Reports

A 60-year-old former Carson City woman faces up to 10 years in prison when she is sentenced Oct. 19 for embezzling nearly $100,000 from her employer.

In a plea agreement with the district attorney’s office, Sandra Kay Hunter also is eligible for probation which includes spending one year in Douglas County Jail and making $99,359 restitution.

Hunter pleaded guilty Tuesday to embezzlement, admitting she stole the money from Property Management & Maintenance in Minden from April 2008 to December 2009.

In exchange for her guilty plea, the district attorney is to recommend a suspended sentence of 33-84 months in prison in addition to the restitution and year in jail.

Hunter has been in custody since she was extradited from Washington state in March.

“I stole more than $99,000 from Property Management & Maintenance,” Hunter said Tuesday.

District Judge Dave Gamble advised Hunter that he is not bound by the plea agreement.

A felony arrest warrant was issued for Hunter in early February. She had been questioned in connection with the missing money, and agreed to turn herself in if there was an arrest warrant.

However, she moved out of her residence in Carson City and left no forwarding address.

According to investigators, Hunter worked at the front desk at the company which manages rental properties and collected rent money. Her employers began reviewing financial records at the end of last year and discovered $83,773.78 missing between April 2008 and December 2009.

After several interviews where she denied involvement, Hunter reportedly admitted taking money twice a month, but disputed the total. She thought $42,000 was more accurate, according to reports.

The company hired an accountant who found a total of $99,358.78 missing from two accounts.

A search of Hunter’s criminal record revealed a previous conviction for embezzling $44,000 from a title company. She also said she owed the Internal Revenue Service which was why she didn’t have a bank account.

At the conclusion of her last interview with investigators on Jan. 8, Hunter agreed to turn herself.

The warrant was issued in early February, and Hunter failed to surrender.

She was arrested in Pierce County, Washington and returned to Douglas County at a cost of $2,011 which she must repay as part of her probation.