Wendy’s robbed; 3 teens are held | RecordCourier.com

Wendy’s robbed; 3 teens are held

by Sheila Gardner

Three teen-agers were taken into custody Friday afternoon in connection with two armed robberies, the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office said.

The trio – two 18-year-olds and a 17-year-old juvenile – was questioned in connection with an armed robbery at Wendy’s early Friday and the Feb. 11 robbery of the Johnson Lane General Store.

“We have very strong evidence indicating the three are responsible for the Johnson Lane and Wendy’s armed robberies,” said Sgt. Lance Modispacher.

Their names were not immediately released pending formal charges.

The Wendy’s restaurant, at the intersection of Highway 395 and State Route 88 in Minden, was robbed at 12:30 a.m. Friday by two people with a gun and a baseball bat, Modispacher said.

Three employees working at the restaurant were not injured. An unknown amount of money was taken. According to Modispacher, the workers were cleaning the store. As one employee was taking out the trash, a suspect struck him on the hand. The suspects entered the restaurant and forced the three workers into the cold storage room.

The victims freed themselves after the suspects left and called the sheriff’s office.

On Feb. 11, two men entered the Johnson Lane General Store at 3:15 a.m. and taped the clerk’s hands and feet, and cleaned out the store’s safe in another early morning robbery.

“The technique worked so well for the perpetrators in the Johnson Lane robbery, that they used the same method at Wendy’s,” Modispacher said.

Investigators recovered two handguns and a baseball bat they believed were used in the robbery.

Modispacher said he anticipated that the adults would be charged with at least two counts of armed robbery. The juvenile will be charged with a count of conspiracy to commit armed robbery, he said.

One 18-year-old lives in the Johnson Lane area and the other in the Gardnerville Ranchos. The 17-year-old juvenile suspect is a resident of Fish Springs, Modispacher said.

He said DCSO investigators were called out at 2:30 a.m. Friday in the middle of the snowstorm and had the suspects in custody 14 hours later.

“Investigators used great skill to put together this case,” he said. “Sheriff Ron Pierini is very proud of them.”

The Record-Courier E-mail: rc@tahoe.com

Visitors Guide | News | Diversions | Marketplace | Weather | Community

Copyright, tahoe.com. Materials contained within this site may

not be used without permission.

About tahoe.com…