We need our spiritual vitamins
July 29, 2017
Our spiritual health is akin to the natural environment in our area during summer. Similar to the effects of the hot dry weather, summer activities can rob us of spiritual vitality (I see it every summer). If we are not careful we can become dry and subject to a firestorm of destructive and damaging elements. If we neglect to give our bodies the proper nutrition they will become weak and unable to fight off disease and other sicknesses. If we neglect to feed our spirits they will become weak and unable to fight off the destructive desires of the flesh.
I have identified seven principles I call life principles. If we are Christians and doing these seven things we will be healthy spiritually, guaranteed.
There is no particular order.
1. Prayer: Philippians 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
2. Word: 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
3. Fellowship: Acts 2:42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Recommended Stories For You
4. Worship: Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
5. Giving: Luke 6: 35 But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High.
6. Witnessing: 2 Corinthians 5:20 Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ's behalf, be reconciled to God.
7. Serving: Galatians 5:13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
I have been pastoring now for 27 years, and not once have I had someone come to me for counseling who is doing all seven. The fact is people who are doing all seven don't need counseling, they give counsel. To all that read this article I pray that the Lord will keep, sustain, encourage, challenge, fulfill, lead, and fill you with the Holy Spirit. Bless others and be blessed.
Pastor Leo Kruger of Valley Christian Fellowship is a member of Carson Valley Ministers' Association.