Valley woman sworn in as deputy
October 7, 2016
Sierra Lutheran High School graduate Mariah C. West has returned to Douglas County as a new deputy sheriff.
West, who has a degree in criminal justice from Waynesburg University in Waynesburg, Pa., was sworn in during a Monday ceremony at the Douglas County Judicial and Law Enforcement Building in Minden.
She grew up in Carson Valley and graduated in 2011 from Sierra Lutheran, where she was on the volleyball and basketball teams, and was a member of the state championship Academic Olympics team.
The ceremony was a culminating event for West's long-term goal of becoming a deputy.
Many family members and friends attended the event to watch West repeat her oath of office. Her grandmother came to the event and wiped away tears because she was so proud of her.
"I grew up in this community and I will be tasked with many responsibilities in the future, and I hope to accomplish them and make Carson Valley better," West said.
Trending In: Local
- Police helicopter clipping power lines will require Carson-Reno artery to close for two mornings to fix
- Band of aggressive wild horses up for gather next week
- 2010 Story Mom charged with leaving 12-year-old alone while she’s in LA
- Vacation rentals draw divided response
- Douglas Marines observe service’s birthday