Turkey fryer fire punctuates busy Thanksgiving
November 25, 2016
An effort to deep fry a turkey resulted in a visit from firefighters when the fryer boiled over in Sunridge, igniting the propane line 11:30 a.m. Thursday.
Battalion Chief Larry Goss said the there was no damage to the home, since the fryer was set up in a large open area free of combustible materials.
The fryer fire was one of 19 calls, East Fork firefighters responded to on Thanksgiving.
At about 12:30 p.m., firefighters received a report that fire coming from within the walls next to the wood stove pipe on Jones in Johnson Lane.
Upon arrival, crews quickly determined that the flames seen had come from a loose stove pipe fitting where it joins the wall, Goss said.
"The fire in the box was extinguished and no damage to the structure or content was reported," Goss said.
Recommended Stories For You
The pipe was determined to have severe creosote build-up causing the fire.
"With winter temperatures upon us, we would like to remind all residents who use wood burning equipment to ensure you have the stove pipes cleaned and inspected regularly," Goss said.
Trending In: Local
- Police helicopter clipping power lines will require Carson-Reno artery to close for two mornings to fix
- Band of aggressive wild horses up for gather next week
- 2010 Story Mom charged with leaving 12-year-old alone while she’s in LA
- Vacation rentals draw divided response
- Douglas Marines observe service’s birthday