Suspect pleads not guilty to attack on great-grandpa |

Suspect pleads not guilty to attack on great-grandpa

by Sheila Gardner

A 21-year-old Las Vegas man is competent to stand trial on charges that he stabbed his 82-year-old great-grandfather in the neck, nearly severing the victim’s trachea.

District Judge Michael Gibbons ruled Monday that Bradley Endsley Jr. understood the charges against him and was able to assist in his defense.

Gibbons made the findings based on a report prepared by two doctors at the Lake’s Crossing Center for mentally disordered offenders in Sparks where Endsley spent several months being evaluated.

Endsley pleaded not guilty Monday to battery with a deadly weapon causing substantial bodily harm to a person 60 years or older, and use or being in possession of a controlled substance, methamphetamine.

Gibbons set a four-day trial to begin Feb. 4. He denied attorney Charles Diaz’s request to lower Endsley’s bail from $100,000 to $15,000-$20,000.

Diaz argued that Endsley had no prior criminal history, was on proper medication, and would live in Las Vegas with his grandmother and other family members who would provide supervision.

Endsley has been in custody since the incident which occurred April 15 at the victim’s home in Topaz Ranch Estates.

Endsley’s mother, Shelly Kilfian, testified Monday that she was the victim’s caretaker, and he had recovered from his wound.

She said he feels guilty that his great-grandson was arrested, and didn’t believe the suspect intended to hurt him.

Diaz provided letters from friends and relatives attesting to Endsley’s character.

Diaz said his client had witnessed his father dying in front of him, and was unable to save him with cardiopulmonary respiration, prompting feelings of guilt in Endsley.

He also said Endsley suffered a severe concussion in an automobile accident. Following the accident, in which Endsley was the victim, his family discontinued psychiatric treatment in favor of addressing his medical injuries.

Diaz said his investigation of the incident that led to Endsley’s arrest indicated he was visiting in TRE with his mother and great-grandfather.

“His great-grandfather found Mr. Endsley in a panic, holding a knife and battering a door jamb. He (Endlsey) was in a very paranoid state. Instead of calling the sheriff’s office, (the victim) took matters in his own hands,” Diaz said.

The two scuffled over the knife and the victim was injured.

“There was no history of bad blood. He had a normal relationship with his great-grandfather,” Diaz said.

Prosecutor Erik Levin objected to lowering the bail.

“Mr. Endsley is still a threat to himself and others. His was a very serious incident. The victim’s trachea was nearly severed,” Levin said.

He said no one has acknowledged that Endsley allegedly had been using controlled substances — including solvents, bath salts, and methamphetamine — since he was 12.

Levin said there was an incident at Lake’s Crossing involving Endsley which required intervention.

If Endlsey relocated to Las Vegas, Levin said it would be impossible to monitor him.

“We’d be taking an awful chance,” Levin said.

Gibbons said he couldn’t recall seeing a report from Lake’s Crossing where a patient had to be moved because of a violent confrontation.

He acknowledged that Endsley had no prior record, but said he had to take into account “the entire set of circumstances.”

“Without a very controlled environment and the issue of (medication), he (Endsley) does represent a threat to himself and others,” Gibbons said.

The judge said he would not lower the bail even if Endsley were living locally and under electronic monitoring.

The alleged incident took place early April 15 at the victim’s Topaz Ranch Estates home on Slate Road.

Deputies arrived on scene at 12:30 a.m. after a report of a gunshot. They reportedly found Endsley inside the home holding a knife.

As deputies issued orders to Endsley, the victim pulled into the driveway bleeding from a stab wound. The man told deputies that he was attacked by Endsley, and managed to escape before deputies arrived.

Deputies forced their way into the home, and placed Endsley into custody for attempted murder.

He was charged with battery with a deadly weapon causing substantial bodily harm to a person 60 years of age or older, and use or being in possession of a controlled substance, methamphetamine.

The battery charge carries a punishment of up to 15 years in prison and a $10,000 fine. The elderly enhancement is punishable by up to 20 years in prison.