Spark ignites roof in Johnson Lane area | RecordCourier.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Spark ignites roof in Johnson Lane area

by Merrie Leininger, staff writer

East Fork Fire officials are warning residents about fire hazards after responding to a house fire in Johnson Lane Monday.

The fire on Downs Drive started at 12:49 p.m. when the wood shake roof caught on fire near the chimney, then spread into the attic. Fire inspector Terry Taylor said the chimney did not have a spark arrestor. He said the fire caused about $10,000 worth of damage.

Taylor said this was the fourth or fifth fire in the Carson Valley in two weeks.

Taylor said residents should make sure they do certain things to ensure their fireplace is safe:

Don’t burn paper in wood stoves.

Have the chimney cleaned annually.

Burn only dry wood that is 2 to 3 years old.

Adjust the flue for clean burning; don’t close the flue when the stove is full.

Keep a 5-pound dry chemical fire extinguisher nearby in case of fire.

Johnson Lane, Jacks Valley, Genoa and Douglas County Engine Co. volunteer fire departments responded to the fire. Also responding were Nevada Division of Forestry Jack’s Valley station, East Fork paramedics and Douglas County Sheriff’s deputies, who Taylor said were first on the scene and got the owner out of the house and to a safe place.