Sheriff’s office investigates ‘gallon smash’ |

Sheriff’s office investigates ‘gallon smash’

Staff Reports

The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office is investigating incidents of “gallon smash” which took place last month at Walmart on Topsy Lane.

According to reports, juveniles were observed on store surveillance in the dairy section of the store tossing two gallons of what appears to be tea in the air.

When the containers smashed on the floor, one juvenile is seen sliding through the tea and falling. When he re-enters camera range, the juvenile appears to be limping.

Store personnel said six juveniles appeared to be involved, with two suspects acting as lookouts. After the containers smashed, two of the subjects got the attention of people walking by, then left the store.

■ A 43-year-old Gardnerville woman was charged with drunk driving and child endangerment Sunday after she ran a stop sign at Kimmerling in the Gardnerville Ranchos and had an alcohol content of .145, nearly twice the legal limit of .08 for driving. According to reports, Pandora Lawrence had two minor children in her vehicle, resulting in a child endangerment charge.

East Fork Justice Tom Perkins released Lawrence on her own recognizance, and appointed lawyer Jamie Henry to represent her. Her next hearing is March 27.

While out of custody, Lawrence must abstain from alcohol and narcotics, and is under supervision by the Department of Alternative Sentencing. She is subject to random search, seizure and testing.

■ A 20-year-old Gardnerville man was jailed last week after deputies responding to a 911 hangup discovered him with a alcohol content of .36, more than four times the legal limit of .08.

Darien Anderson was charged with minor consuming and coercion. East Fork Judge Tom Perkins appointed attorney Jamie Henry to represent him and set Anderson’s next court appearance Wednesday.

He is being held without bail. Prosecutor Erik Levin asked that Anderson be denied bail because of his record.

“His previous case in district court involved drugs and he continues to use,” Levin said.

“He went through the regimental discipline program which we hoped would straighten him out. Obviously, it didn’t,” Levin said. “We don’t have many tools left.”

Two years ago, Anderson faced up to six years in prison after he admitted selling two hydrocodone tablets for $10.

He completed the regimental discipline program and charges were dismissed.

In January, he received a 90-day suspended sentenced for possession of drug paraphernalia.