Scarselli given all clear after gas odor report
August 16, 2017
A Gardnerville Ranchos elementary school was evacuated on Wednesday morning after staff members reported smelling natural gas.
East Fork firefighters responded to the report at 11:07 a.m. at Scarselli Elementary School.
Rescue 7 arrived seven minutes later to find the school evacuated with reports of the odor dissipated.
"Two firefighters made a quick recon of the school to ensure everyone was accounted for and no one was injured," East Fork Deputy Chief Dave Fogerson said. "Additional units arrived on scene and tied in with the school principal and custodian. A gas monitor was used inside the school to see if any readings or odors were present. School maintenance personnel and the District Superintendent arrived and confirmed the location of the utilities to the school which were ruled out by use of the gas monitor and type of odor as a cause."
“East Fork and the School District have been working strongly together for the last few years to partner for emergency response with the Sheriff’s Office.”Dave FogersonEast Fork Deputy Chief
Recommended Stories For You
Firefighters investigated the odor with an individual who had smelled it and were unable to replicate the smell. The Gardnerville Ranchos General Improvement District responded to the scene to check for any issues within manholes that could have caused an odor. Students who were sick before the odor was found were quickly evaluated by East Fork and the school nurse and confirmed to be unrelated to the odor smell, Fogerson said.
With the school clear and no odor found again outside, the school was released to return.
"East Fork and the School District have been working strongly together for the last few years to partner for emergency response with the Sheriff's Office," Fogerson said. "These efforts paid off on this incident as all personnel were familiar with one another along with the concerns of their agencies."