Rock-throwers admit vandalism
Two boys admitted to their part in an hour-long rock-throwing spree that damaged 23 cars.
Many victims sat in the courtroom as Jared A. Holmes, 16, and Grant David DeVore, 16, both admitted to conspiracy to damage motor vehicles in juvenile court Tuesday afternoon. A charge of willfully damaging a vehicle was dismissed.
Matthew Alan Keller will be in court on same charges Monday at 10:30 a.m. Deputy District Attorney Derrick Lopez said he is considering charges against a fourth boy.
The boys were arrested about 11:30 p.m. July 11. Vehicles in the Ranchos, Chichester Estates and Minden were damaged by large rocks.
Judge Michael Gibbons questioned the boys about their motivation. DeVore admitted they behaved inappropriately, but told him they weren’t thinking at the time.
“We were bored and had no money and had nothing to do,” DeVore said.
Holmes had previously been released on house arrest and Grant was released on house arrest after he turned over about $500 towards restitution and said he would be getting a job. His father told the judge that they were taking away his driver’s license and would pay their share of the restitution as soon as a figure was settled on.
Lopez told the court the figure could reach as high as about $20,000.
Gibbons said all the victims should be in contact with the district attorney’s office. He said a copy of the bill for the repairs would be the best way to ensure they are repaid.
He said victims normally cannot receive restitution for wages lost as a result of getting the repairs or going to court, although one victim is seeking $3,000 in lost wages. Gibbons said victims could take written statements to the DA’s office or attend the sentencing hearing to tell the boys how the crime affected them.
“I realize very clearly what an inconvenience this has been, but juveniles don’t. Part of the process is so they can learn that and not repeat the behavior,” Gibbons said.
Sentencing is scheduled at 9:45 a.m. Aug. 28.