Probation reinstated in seduction case; jail ordered
October 24, 2011
Probation was reinstated Monday for a 33-year-old Carson City man with mild retardation who was sentenced two years ago for the statutory sexual seduction and false imprisonment of a 14-year-old girl.
District Judge Michael Gibbons told Robert Andrew Stevenson he must comply with terms of his probation including counseling.
“I don’t think you’re a candidate for state prison unless you’re endangering another person,” Gibbons said.
“I would never do that,” Stevenson said.
But the judge pointed out that’s what Stevenson did in the 2009 offense.
Recommended Stories For You
Stevenson’s probation officer said he believed the defendant was intentionally violating his probation.
“He shows some thought, he is extremely deceptive,” said Jonathan Wycoff.
Wycoff said the counseling set up for Stevenson was the last option. The defendant had been turned away by other agencies.
He said the Division of Parole and Probation viewed Stevenson as a threat to the community and recommended revocation.
Stevenson admitted that he did not go to counseling, was viewing pornography on his cell phone and had Internet access, all in violation of his probation. He also attempted to pass a fraudulent check.
“I am very sorry for what I did. I didn’t mean to do what I did,” Stevenson said. “I want to try again.”
He told Gibbons he was afraid of the counselors.
Prosecutor Maria Pence said transportation was arranged for Stevenson to Reno, but he refused to go.
“This seems to be one of those cases where there are just not enough tools in the community,” Pence said. “He’s been on probation for two years and we’re still seeing violations. He does seem to know it’s wrong. He needs to be told in no uncertain terms he has to go to counseling. He never attended a single session.”
Gibbons reinstated Stevenson’s five-year probation, and ordered him to serve 30 days in Douglas County Jail.
Stevenson has until the end of the year to prove he is going to counseling.
In September 2009, he admitted putting his hands down the pants of a 14-year-old girl who was at his Gardnerville residence with her 14-year-old boyfriend when the assault occurred.
He also pleaded guilty to false imprisonment because he refused to let the teens leave until they were able to push past him. He has since moved to Carson City.