Pet owners concerned by food recall |

Pet owners concerned by food recall

Record Courier Staff Reports

Staff Reports

A recent pet food recall has Nancy Giles’ phone ringing off the hook.

Giles, who has owned Pet Chef Express based in Gardnerville since 1998, said her food is not affected, but there are many common brands involved.

“We’re a consortium of companies across the country and all our food is made in Ohio,” she said. “Our main focus is home delivery of quality pet food and treats.”

Giles said she doesn’t mind fielding phone calls from pet owners concerned about their food.

“They can call me if they are unsure,” she said. “These are our children and we have to be super cautious. There isn’t any way to tell about the food except to check on the Web site and keep in touch with the news.”

Giles phone number is 841-5800.

The deaths of nine cats and a dog have been connected to “cuts and gravy” pet food produced by Menu Foods Inc., a private-label pet food manufacturer based in Canada, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

The food was produced in Emporia, Kan., between Dec. 3, 2006, and March 6 and has been sold in many popular stores.

The products are packaged in cans and pouches under numerous brand names and are marketed nationwide by many pet food retailers including Ahold USA Inc., Kroger Company, Safeway, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., PetSmart, Inc., and Pet Valu, Inc.

Menu Foods, Inc. has identified the potentially contaminated products on the Internet at Consumers who have any of these products should immediately stop feeding them to their pets, according to the FDA.

Dogs or cats that have consumed the suspect feed and show signs of kidney failure (such as loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting) should consult with their veterinarian. Menu Foods, Inc. is notifying retailers by telephone and mail and is arranging for the return of all recalled products.

Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-(866)895-2708. Consumers who wish to report adverse actions or other problems can go to to contact the FDA complaint coordinator in their state.