People offer to help family
The family of Gary and Tammy Dykes have accomplished what many of us only dream about. They lived a life that is self-sufficient – independent of utility bills.
Their home on 40 acres in the center of the Carson Valley, was run on solar power, wind power, a propane generator, and heated with the wood stoves.
On Wednesday, a chimney fire fanned by high winds brought their 85-year-old house, along with their self-sufficient dreams, down to the ground.
Almost immediately, concerned people began calling The Record-Courier with thoughts of helping the Dykes.
n Nate Leising, a volunteer firefighter with the Sheridan department, called Wednesday to say he’d like to get his son’s school involved in giving the Dykes children some toys.
“I went out to the site of the fire right at the beginning,” he said. “My son, Aaron, who is four-and-a-half, saw Pierce Dykes there and said something to me about giving him some toys since the fire probably burned most of them. It got me thinking about seeing if Aaron’s Montessori school would like to make an effort to help.”
Leising is contacting parents at the school to try and find out what they can do to help the Dykes children.
n The people who work in the office of dentist David Lund are wanting to help. Gary has his dental tech. lab in with Lund.
Marion Cork, receptionist, called to say there is a bank account at Nevada Banking Company already set up for the family. The account number is 20026161 in the name of The Gary and Tammy Dykes Fire Relief Fund. The bank is located at 1374 Highway 395 in Gardnerville. Phone, 782-2271.
Erma Janssen, office manager for Lund’s dental office, said anyone wanting to drop off clothes or anything, is welcome to bring them to the office. Call first, 782-7705.
Lund said Gary is hoping someone can come up with ideas on temporary housing for the family on their property. An old mobile home, a double-wide, anything anyone has for free or for cheap, would be great, Lund said.
“They also really need a washing machine,” said Cork, who was taking much of the Dykes’ wet, dirty clothes home from the fire site to wash in her own machine.
n The Lions Club, who sponsors Ben Dykes’ Boy Scout Troop 411, was having an emergency board meeting today, according to Cork.
Gary and Tammy Dykes have four children, Carah, 15, Ben, 14, Jenna,7, and Pierce, 3. The children have been home-schooled, but the two oldest are currently in Douglas County schools.
Anyone with ideas or things to donate – even manpower – can call Cork or Janssen at the dental office.