Man who fired shotgun in house signals guilty plea | RecordCourier.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Man who fired shotgun in house signals guilty plea

A man who fired a shotgun inside a house waived a hearing on Wednesday and his attorney said he will enter a guilty plea for felony domestic battery with strangulation.

Mathew Meinen, 38, is facing 1-5 years in prison under a plea deal announced in East Fork Justice Court.

He is scheduled to appear in Douglas County District Court on Feb. 1.

According to court documents, Meinen was arrested on Jan. 4, after dispatchers received an emergency call from a woman who said she’d been battered.

While deputies were on their way to the address, they received word that Meinen discharged a shotgun inside the home, where seven minor children were located.

Deputies arrived and found Meinen and the woman in the front yard. They ordered Meinen to remove his hands from his pockets and to get on the ground.

Meinen refused the commands given by the deputies and began walking back into his home.

Deputies took Meinen into custody after using a taser on him.

Meinen was originally booked into the Douglas County Jail on charges of resisting arrest, domestic battery, child abuse and ex-felon in possession of a firearm.

The woman was taken by East Fork Fire and Paramedics to the hospital for evaluation.

■ A Topaz Ranch Estates man accused of holding a gun to a neighbor’s head will remain in jail another week.

Officials are waiting for a psychological report that Gary Walker, 69, is not a danger to himself or others.

Even if he’s released, he will be ordered to stay away from the victims.

Walker was arrested New Year’s Eve after an incident earlier that day in which he reportedly entered a nearby home and pointed a gun at the teenager who was there, and threatened to kill her and her family.

He was arrested when he returned home a few hours later.

According to court documents, the victim told deputies Walker entered her home while she was cooking and pressed the gun to her head, allegedly accusing her family of tapping his phone.

Walker is denying the incident. Attorney Maria Pence assured victims that Walker would not contact them should he be released.

■ A North Valley man who allegedly pursued members of his family with a sword will go to Douglas County District Court after he waived a preliminary hearing on Wednesday.

Michael Sean Parodi, 29, is scheduled to appear on Feb. 2 to answer charges related to the Jan. 1 incident.

He was originally arrested on charges of assault with a deadly weapon and child endangerment.