Man found guilty of sexual abuse
A former Indian Hills man will be sentenced Dec. 16 after he was convicted a second time of sexually abusing his young daughter.
A jury of eight women and four men deliberated less than 90 minutes Monday before returning six guilty verdicts against Carlos Quevedo, 29.
As the verdicts were read, Quevedo’s mother left the courtroom. His brother, who cried while the verdicts were read, called the community racist.
“You are prejudiced people. Everybody is prejudiced around this … place,” he said as he stormed out of the courtroom.
Bailiff George Wennhold escorted jurors from the courtroom after they were thanked for their service by District Judge Dave Gamble.
Before he was placed in custody, Quevedo turned and waved to his family who had attended retrial proceedings which began Nov. 10.
Quevedo’s earlier conviction on seven felony counts of sexual assault on a minor was overturned by the Nevada Supreme Court. The seventh count was dropped Monday for lack of evidence.
“There’s not much to say,” said defense attorney Pat Gilbert, who represented Quevedo. “It was a sad case, a difficult case. I wish the outcome had been different.”
Gilbert said he may appeal the verdict.
“I’m relieved,” said chief criminal deputy district attorney Kristine Brown who prosecuted both cases.
“I was so afraid for that little girl, that she had to come back and testify again,” said Brown. “But all I had to do was ask. She did such a good job. She was so nervous, she was almost sick about it, having to go through it again. She maintained through her tears.”
Brown said the girl’s mother was heartsick that her daughter, now 12, had to relieve the memories of the sexual abuse which occurred when she was 7.
“Her mom had reservations, but she didn’t want him (Quevedo) to get away with it,” Brown said.
She dismissed the brother’s charge of racism.
“I think it’s unfounded,” Brown said. “To me, it’s a case of whether or not they believed what a little girl said. I don’t think race entered into it at all.”
In closing arguments Monday, Gilbert told the jury that the sexual abuse allegations resulted from a child’s disappointment over a cancelled trip to Disneyland.
“She hears something at school about good touching and bad touching. She wanted to go to Disneyland. She couldn’t and she wanted to blame her dad,” Gilbert said.
“She was stuck with the story because the officer told her you get in trouble if you lie,” Gilbert said.
“At 7, (she) didn’t understand what was going on in the parent-child relationship,” Brown said. “She didn’t want to do these things, but she was afraid of what might happen.
“All the evidence taken together is sufficient to show that Mr. Quevedo is guilty,” she said.
The girl lived with her family in Indian Hills at the time of the alleged abuse. She hasn’t seen her father since he was sentenced to prison in March 1994. Her mother remarried and left Douglas County with her children.
Quevedo was convicted after a jury trial in February 1994 and sentenced to seven life terms in prison. The Nevada Supreme Court overturned the convictions in January on a 3-2 vote. The justices said Judge Norm Robison, who has since retired from the bench, erred by not holding a hearing on the trustworthiness of hearsay statements given by the alleged victim to two witnesses.
Court records say the alleged abuse occurred between October 1992 and July 1993. The victim reported the incidents to her 3rd grade teacher at Jacks Valley Elementary School.
Quevedo had been free on $50,000 bail pending the retrial.
He faces six life terms in prison at his sentencing.