Man burned in honey oil extraction fire
January 15, 2018
A man received third-degree burns while allegedly extracting hash oil using butane at a Gardnerville apartment building.
East Fork firefighters were called to 1330 Stodick Parkway 2:40 p.m. Sunday after receiving a report that someone was on fire.
The flash fire and small explosion burned up the dishwasher and caused third-degree burns to the man's arms and chin, according to East Fork Fire Investigator Terry Taylor.
The man was flown to Renown Regional Medical Center by CalStar ambulance helicopter and then reportedly to the University of California, Davis, Burn Center for treatment.
A search warrant was obtained for the apartment, where deputies collected evidence in the case.
Taylor said there were no hazardous materials left in the apartment, but that it is uninhabitable.
Recommended Stories For You
The explosion left a thin layer of soot in the second-floor apartment away from the dishwasher, but there was no structural or exterior damage.
Sheriff's Spokeswoman Sgt. Bernadette Smith said investigators determined the fire originated while highly potent THC was being extracted from marijuana, making something called honey oil.
The apartment has been rendered safe and criminal charges are pending, Smith said.
Trending In: Local
- Band of aggressive wild horses up for gather next week
- 2010 Story Mom charged with leaving 12-year-old alone while she’s in LA
- Police helicopter clipping power lines will require Carson-Reno artery to close for two mornings to fix
- Vacation rentals draw divided response
- Douglas Marines observe service’s birthday