Little damage from fire at pool | RecordCourier.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Little damage from fire at pool

staff reports

It slowed traffic and brought a lot of volunteer firefighters, but a natural gas fire Friday afternoon at the Carson Valley Swim Center caused little damage.

Pool director Kirk Chiapella was swimming in the outdoor pool near the south side of the building were the fire started shortly before 2 p.m.

He said, luckily, it was the pool’s slow time of day when an employee of a subcontractor doing improvements to the building broke a natural gas pipe leading from the main line.

Chiapella said there were only about 14 people in the building and they were evacuated.

While the fire department took precautions against hazardous materials, Chiapella said the line broken carried pure natural gas into the building.

Fire Chief Jim Reinhardt said the fire did not spread into the building. During gas line breaks, it is policy to wait until the gas company turns off the gas service to the building. While they waited, firefighters continuously sprayed the wall near the gas main to keep it cool and to keep flames from spreading into the building.

After the gas was turned off and the fire extinguished, Reinhardt said officials would continue an investigation into what started the fire. The county building department will be notified to inspect for structural damage on the wall covered with black soot, he said.