Lee Vining teens admit to arson, confined to own homes
Two teenagers who were accused of setting the Lee Vining High School on fire admitted to one charge each of felony arson Friday, according to Beverly Bryan, juvenile probation officer handling the case.
Bryan said the boys also each entered admissions to one count of theft and vandalism, both misdemeanors.
The disposition, which is the sentencing phase of juvenile cases, is set for Nov. 19.
Bryan said both were released from juvenile probation until the sentencing.
The boys were put on electronic monitoring and cannot leave their homes.
Superintendent of Eastern Sierra School District Bill Schmidt, said the one boy who had been a student at Lee Vining would not be returning to school.
The other boy was home-schooled in the past.
Three portable classrooms were delivered to the school Monday afternoon, with two more scheduled to arrive today.
Schmidt said the two others were held up in construction traffic on Highway 80.
He said once the portables all arrive, they have to be put together, since they are transported in halves, and put on foundations. Then electricity has to be run into them.
Water and sewer will also be hooked up to a portable that will serve as the science classroom and a separate portable will be set up with restrooms.
Schmidt said he hopes everything will be set up by the Nov. 1.
Schmidt said the district is looking to expand the playground at the elementary school where some portables have already been placed.
He said the district wants to add basketball courts and a handball court and has had many offers for supplies and labor.
“We’ve had lots of offers for help,” Schmidt said. “We need more surface playground area, and have had offers from the Rotary Club and contractors, and Home Depot has provided us with materials.”
The Record-Courier E-mail: email@example.com
Visitors Guide | News | Diversions | Marketplace | Weather | Community
Copyright, tahoe.com. Materials contained within this site may
not be used without permission.