Judge wants defendant in boot camp
District Judge Michael Gibbons sentenced a 21-year-old Minden man to six months in a regimental discipline program Monday even though the state said he was ineligible.
Gibbons said Kameron Mariolo met all requirements for the “boot camp,” and he didn’t think the state had the discretion to reject him from the program.
Mariolo has an adult and juvenile criminal history, but Gibbons said the state claimed he had an incident of brandishing a weapon for which he was never convicted. Apparently, the allegation was enough to exclude him from the state-run discipline program.
He admitted to possession of a credit card without the owner’s consent on Jan. 30 after charging more than $1,182 on a card taken while he was working in the victim’s home.
He was ordered to attend drug court, which allows an offender to avoid sentencing if they successfully complete the program.
He was arrested on March 6 after he failed to appear at a drug court hearing and then again in August.
Mariolo has been in jail since September and is serving an additional 90-day sentence for destruction of jail property.
According to prosecutor Mike McCormick, Mariolo and another prisoner were removing lights at the jail in an effort to light cigarettes.
“We have a stack of eight files here on Mr. Mariolo,” McCormick said. “It becomes a matter of what is best for the community.
“He has shown absolutely no indication whatsoever that he has any interest in being a good citizen.”
Gibbons agreed that Mariolo did not deserve probation.
“You’ve been in trouble continuously since you were a juvenile,” Gibbons said. “This is a last-ditch effort. There is only one other choice and that is to lock you up.
“You better stay out of trouble. I’m going way out of my way to try and and help you in this situation.”
n A 27-year-old Minden man who sold eight grams of methamphetamine to a confidential informant pleaded guilty Monday to a possession charge.
Lawyer Tod Young said his client, Jose Aquino Villavicencio, provided substantial assistance to law enforcement. In exchange, two more serious drug charges were dropped.
Originally, Villavicencio was charged with trafficking in a controlled substance and sale of a controlled substance.
Villavicencio must receive probation for the offense, but that could include serving up to one year in the Douglas County Jail.
If he violates probation, he faces up to four years in Nevada State Prison.
District Judge Michael Gibbons set sentencing for Jan. 22.
n A 23-year-old Gardnerville Ranchos man was sentenced Monday to six months in Douglas County Jail and ordered to successfully complete drug court.
District Judge Michael Gibbons suspended a three-year prison sentence and placed Matthew Anton on three years’ probation.
Anton was arrested Sept. 18 after deputies recovered backpacks and duffel bags full of items reported stolen in a series of residential burglaries in California.
California authorities were not willing to extradite Anton on burglary and possession of stolen property charges.
He pleaded guilty in Nevada to possession of stolen property.
Anton said Monday that he had been angry at his girlfriend for turning him in, but realized “it was a blessing in disguise.”
Anton, who has been in Douglas County Jail for 77 days, told Gibbons he couldn’t remember the last time he was sober prior to incarceration.
He said his mother introduced him to drugs when he was a juvenile, but now she’s in drug court, too.
“This is the first time I have ever seen my mother sober,” he said. “It’s mind-blowing. She’s a completely different woman. She’s a good role model. I want to change.”
Gibbons said he would approve sending Anton to in-patient treatment as part of his probation.
Anton also must complete 40 hours of community service.
n A 22-year-old ex-felon who claimed he was “in the wrong place at the wrong time” pleaded guilty Monday to attempted possession of a stolen motor vehicle.
Devon Reuter of Reno admitted driving a stolen Minden Electric truck through mud and sagebrush until it got stuck off East Valley Road. The $40,000 truck suffered substantial damage.
The vehicle was reported stolen Nov. 3 in Carson City, but turned up at a residence on Eldon Way on the Valley’s east side.
Reuter, who denied stealing the truck, was observed driving it in circles in the mud.
The driver took off at a high rate of speed followed by the Minden Electric employees in their own vehicles.
According to the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office, the truck got stuck and the driver took off on foot. By the time deputies arrived, the driver, identified as Reuter, was lying face down in the dirt, his hands and feet bound with plastic zip ties from the stolen truck, detained by Minden Electric employees.
Reuter said Monday he had been asked to move the truck. He said he got scared when he saw the Minden Electric employees and the sheriff’s patrol cars heading toward him. He said he had only been out of prison for two months.
“I got scared and I ran,” he said. “I was moving the truck off the property and all these trucks came barreling around the corner. I made a stupid decision on top of a stupid decision.”
District Judge Michael Gibbons refused to release Reuter on his own recognizance. He is in Douglas County on $5,000 bail.
He set sentencing for Jan. 8.