Hundreds attend Alaniz service |

Hundreds attend Alaniz service


A trust account has been opened at Wells Fargo Bank in Cruz Alaniz’ name.

Donors may go to any branch and ask to make a deposit to the account for Cruz Alaniz. No account number is necessary.

There is also a You Caring site where people can make donations online.


Speakers remembered Cruz Alaniz as a bright, positive, fun-loving person, who left this world way too soon.

About 400 classmates, friends and family members packed the Douglas High School commons on Sunday night to remember 17-year-old Cruz, who died after two weeks in a coma.

Born March 24, 1998, in Chino, Calif., to Tina and Hector Alaniz, Cruz arrived with his family in Carson City when he was 4 months old.

“He was a boy who would always make you laugh,” classmates Jimena Murillo and Jessica Sanchez said at his memorial service.

River Jacaboni said he was thankful to have Alaniz in his life.

“Thank you Cruz for the countless hours we spent at the skate park,” he said. “To hear his laugh again would be a blessing. He had a positive impact on so many lives. He brought smiles to all our lives.”

Adrian Gonzales said he’d known Alaniz since they were in preschool together.

“We would play soccer and I would go for the ball, and he went for my shin,” Gonzalez said. “As I was lying on the floor, he was laughing. I would give anything to hear that laughter again. I miss you and I can’t wait to see you again.”

Austin Werner said that Alaniz was always happy, and always at the skate park.

“We grew up together,” he said. “He was always first at the skatepark and the last to leave. I can’t believe this happened. I’m still trying to get my head wrapped around it.”

Deven Cain described Alaniz as a loyal and good friend.

“He was there for everyone, and we’re here for each other,” he said.

Eric Rushinock, who worked with Alaniz at the In & Out, said Alaniz was teaching him how to drive a stick shift.

“He was such an adventurous guy,” Rushinock said. “He always taught me to look at the positive side of things. He made me a better person.”

Alaniz was a 17-year-old senior at Douglas High School, who hoped to one day be a nuclear welder. He aspired to join the Marine Corps, but was told by recruiters he was 15 pounds too light.

He died Dec. 23, 2015, after he was taken off life support. He took LSD on Dec. 5, and drank too much water in an apparent effort to flush it out of his system.

His mother took him to the hospital, but he went into a seizure that led to his coma.