Hoverboard cause of Gardnerville fire | RecordCourier.com

Hoverboard cause of Gardnerville fire

Gardnerville, Nev. — A recharging hoverboard is being blamed for an El Dorado Drive apartment fire that put seven people out of their home in Gardnerville on Thursday.

East Fork Fire Capt. Terry Taylor said he traced the cause of the 12:45 p.m. fire to a hoverboard that one of the children living in the apartment had plugged in to charge.

Smoke from the burning device drove the four adults, two children and an infant from the apartment as the batteries began to explode.

Taylor said the family had to run past where the board was burning to escape the flames.

No one was injured in the fire, and Taylor said that most of their clothes survived the fire.

Firefighters responded to the two-alarm blaze and had the fire under control by 1:15 p.m. El Dorado Drive was closed as the fire was extinguished.

Recommended Stories For You

Southwest Gas, NV Energy and the American Red Cross were called to the scene.

According to the Douglas County Assessor's Office, the apartments were built in 1980.

This is the second instance where charging lithium batteries were involved in a Carson Valley fire.

Hoverboard manufacturers say the lithium batteries inside the device can catch fire if they're overcharged.

A fire on Vicky Lane was traced to a lithium battery charger inside a home on Dec. 22.