Highway 50 rental van fire extinguished | RecordCourier.com

Highway 50 rental van fire extinguished

A rental van caught fire and burned around 4:30 p.m. Thursday about a mile up from the Clear Creek Golf Course turn-off on Highway 50.

The van was leaking gasoline, and firefighters were concerned it could have spread to the surrounding forest, according to a fire official.

Tahoe Douglas Fire District Fire Marshal Eric Guevin said the person driving the van said it had engine trouble before it caught fire.

The van was empty, and the driver was able to get away from it before it burned.

Units from Carson City and Tahoe-Douglas Fire District responded to extinguish the fire, which was in the eastbound lanes.

Guevin said the highway was closed for about a half-hour. Units were clear of the scene by 5 p.m.

Two East Fork Fire District units were requested to stand by in case the fire spread to the wildland.

Tinder dry conditions in the Carson Range have made firefighters particularly cautious.

Transformer knocks out Genoa power

A transformer problem is being blamed for a power outage in Genoa that affected 22 NV Energy customers.

According to the power company’s web site, the outage was reported at 8:48 a.m. and was expected to be back on by 5:30 p.m.

The outage affected the town’s northeast neighborhood.