High-speed chase ends in Genoa | RecordCourier.com

High-speed chase ends in Genoa

by Scott Neuffer and Kurt Hildebrand
Staff Writers
Kurt Hildebrand

A high-speed chase that crossed two states in mountainous terrain Friday morning ended north of Genoa when the California driver finally yielded to authorities and was taken into custody.

San Francisco resident Steven Linsey, 53, was arrested and taken to the Douglas County Jail on charges of reckless driving, eluding a police officer, DUI, possession of a controlled substance and possession of paraphernalia. Additional charges are pending from California.

The chase began near Echo Summit in California around 9:56 a.m. when Linsey, driving a black Chevy Impala, failed to yield for a routine traffic stop.

At speeds of 90-100 mph, authorities pursued him along Highway 50 as he sped through the casino core of Stateline and turned east up Kingsbury Grade.

Nevada Highway Patrol officers deployed spike strips at the bottom of Kingsbury Grade in Carson Valley. Linsey reportedly hit 100 mph coming down the roadway and missed the spikes. He then turned left on Foothill Road and headed north.

Authorities closed down surrounding highways and prepared to intercept him at the intersection of Highway 395 and Jacks Valley Road. Jacks Valley Elementary School was alerted and placed on lockdown.

Construction workers said the driver came close to wrecking in Nevada’s oldest town.

“It looked like he was going to lose it on the curve,” a flagger said of the chase. “They came through here pretty fast.”

Around 10:15 a.m., Linsey yielded just north of Genoa, near the intersection of Jacks Valley Road and Trail Court, and was taken into custody.

At 10:30 a.m., he reportedly tried to escape from the police vehicle in which he was detained. The attempt was unsuccessful.

Linsey is being held on $50,000 bail.

No one was injured in the incident. A Douglas drug dog was brought in to help search the vehicle. Suspected marijuana and pain medication were located inside.