Geologists offer tour of Carson Valley during Earth Science Week
October 18, 2017
Geoscientists from the Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology will explain the geology of the Carson Valley on Saturday in celebration of Earth Science Week 2017.
Major stops on this field trip will include:
A 1 million-year-old cinder cone volcano
Evidence of ancient rivers flowing from central Nevada to the Pacific Ocean before the Basin and Range of Nevada dropped because of faulting
Recently active earthquake faults
Recommended Stories For You
The 2014 Hot Spring Mountain flood and debris flows
Trip leaders Seth Dee, Bridget Ayling, and Chris Henry will be available to answer your questions about geology and identify a variety of rocks.
NBMG coordinates annual geology field trips for the public during, or near, Earth Science Week. NBMG has been an active participant in Earth Science Week since it began in 1998.
To sign up or for information visit http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/ScienceEducation/EarthScienceWeek/index.html
Trending In: Local
- Police helicopter clipping power lines will require Carson-Reno artery to close for two mornings to fix
- Search continues for 16-year-old Mono County girl
- Band of aggressive wild horses up for gather next week
- Operation Christmas Child collecting in Minden
- 2010 Story Mom charged with leaving 12-year-old alone while she’s in LA