Genoa seeks bids to fix New Year’s flood damage
Nevada’s first settlement is hoping to move to the head of the line for funding to fix damage caused by the New Year’s Eve flood.
Genoans voted Tuesday to allow Town Manager Tom Peters to seek informal bids to grade, backfill and shape the gravel roads damaged in the flood.
Nixon Street which is the only access to the town church is the main concern for board members. The town earns money by renting out the church, which dates back to 1859.
While the church is accessible, wedding parties often park across Nixon Street at the town park. A large pile of gravel cleared from the flood now blocks access to the park.
Peters told town board members that while Douglas County wants to take the lead in getting Federal Emergency Management Agency money, but is will have to wait for the rest of the counties affected by the flood.
However Peters said that process could take until August or September and the town needs to be ready for tourist season.
“We need to move ahead with our procurement and the county is willing to let us,” he said.
Peters and town engineer Mark Gonzales will obtain bids to determine how much the work will be.
In other news, the town’s chief revenue generator, Candy Dance, is well on its way.
Peters, who was hired in February, reported that all but one of the annual fundraisers committee chairs is filled.
He said the town has applications from 310 crafters and a dozen food vendors and has begun the process of jurying.
“It looks like Candy Dance will be about the same size as last year,” he said.