Gardnerville man sent to jail for incident with girl |

Gardnerville man sent to jail for incident with girl

Staff reports

An emotional apology to his victim preceded a Gardnerville man’s return to jail for coercion and indecent exposure.

Philip Lyndon Fingar, 41, was sentenced Monday to nine months in jail for the indecent exposure charge, a gross misdemeanor. District Judge Michael Gibbons suspended an 18 month- to 5-year prison term for the coercion charge, which is a felony.

“You did nothing wrong in this situation,” Gibbons told the victim, who turned 12 Monday, before Fingar was led away.

Fingar pleaded no contest to both charges in October. Court records say the offenses occurred in July.

The victim’s father paused to regain his composure several times as he asked Gibbons to follow a recommendation for the combination of jail and probation.

“If he goes to prison, I don’t think he’s going to come out a better guy,” the man said.

Fingar, his voice shaking, apologized. His attorney called the incident a “one-time transgression” fueled by emotional trauma and alcoholism.

“If I could turn back time, I would, to before that action happened,” said Fingar. “This kills me that I did this. I cannot express enough how sorry I am for what I did.”

Gibbons cited the stress and humiliation Fingar has experienced, as well as more than 20 letters on Fingar’s behalf from community members. Gibbons said he doesn’t think Fingar will reoffend, and he believes Fingar will succeed on probation.

To succeed, Fingar will have to submit to random searches for alcohol and pornography, undergo lie detection tests, not have any unsupervised contact with children under 18, complete 60 days of house arrest when he gets out of jail, get counseling, stay away from businesses that cater to children or use alcohol as a primary source of income, avoid the victim and her family, and complete 100 hours of community service or donate $1,000 to the Family Support Council’s shelter for victims of domestic violence.

Fingar will get credit for 118 days served in jail and on house arrest since he was first arrested.