Garage fire damages Johnson Lane home |

Garage fire damages Johnson Lane home

Smoke rises from inside a garage on Wade Street in northern Carson Valley.
Kurt Hildebrand |

A power strip is being blamed for setting a fire in a Wade Street home on Thursday morning.

The fire was reported in the garage of 2820 Wade St. at just before 9 a.m.

East Fork firefighters and Douglas County Sheriff’s deputies responded to the neighborhood.

Battalion Chief Larry Goss said the homeowner was walking his children to Piñon Hills Elementary when a neighbor spotted smoke coming from the garage.

“After calling 911, the neighbors were able to rescue a dog from the home,” he said. “Most of the damage was confined to the garage due to the quick action of firefighters. Minor loss from fire suppression activities smoke affected the living area.”

Four engines, three ambulances and two water tenders responded to the fire.

The fire appeared to have spread into the attic before firefighters were able to knock it down at 9:40 a.m.

East Fork Fire District investigator Capt. Terry Taylor said a shop model power strip appeared to have shorted out and set the fire.

He said the homeowner was able to rescue a vehicle that was in the garage, but lost a motorcycle and a quadrunner, along with the contents of the garage.

Douglas County Sheriff’s deputies closed off Wade Street at Stephanie Way for the fire fight.

Early reports from the scene said ammunition was going off as a result of the fire.

Homeowner Sergio Lopez said that some .22 rounds he had in steel containers went off as a result of the fire.

Some of the other pops neighbors heard were from paint cans, Taylor said.

NV Energy and Southwest Gas responded to the fire.

Firefighters were coming off a report of an aircraft down in a field north of Minden. The pilot had a mechanical problem and was able to land safely in a field.

There were also several medical calls that resulted in East Fork asking Tahoe-Douglas Fire District, Carson City and Mono County to help provide coverage.