Fund set up for fire victim | RecordCourier.com

Fund set up for fire victim

Andy Bourelle

A fund has been set up for the family of Sheri Kern, whose Minden home at 1605 10th St. caught on fire Tuesday.

Donations can be delivered to any Greater Nevada Credit Union location. The account number is 733064. Other donations – food, canned goods, blankets and household items – are also being accepted at Douglas County School District Transportation on Airport Road, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. The phone number is 782-5149.

Kern is the state president of the Nevada Classified School Employee Association, and Chapter Six secretary Judy Dunn said the family would be grateful for any help.

“Anything can be used,” she said. “She (Kern) would be happy with anything.”

Kern and her family are staying with her sister.

The fire started in the garage, while two of Kern’s sons, along with a friend, were working on a Camaro. The car’s gas tank had been lowered earlier, leaking some gasoline on the floor. Eric Kern was using a grinder to loosen a rusted bolt, and a spark hit the gas.

The youths tried to put the fire out themselves, and when they couldn’t they called the fire department.

Deputy Fire Chief Steve Eisele said Friday the fire was well-involved by the time firefighters arrived. It spread quickly because of the gasoline and other fuels in the garage.

“The fire really had a jump on us,” he said.

The Camaro and the garage were destroyed. Most of the fire was kept from the rest of the home, but the entire residence suffered heat and smoke damage.

The fire started at about 3:45 p.m. and Eisele said the firefighters were “in the mop-up stage” by 4:20 p.m. A significant amount of cleanup work had to be done to make sure the fire was out and remained out.

Volunteer firefighters from Douglas County Engine Co., Gardnerville, Genoa, Sheridan and Ranchos volunteers assisted the East Fork Fire and Paramedic Districts in extinguishing the blaze. At the initial stages, Eisele said four engines and about 25 people fought the fire. No residents or firefighters were injured.

Eisele estimated the damages to the property and home to be about $75,000.