Freezing temperatures may pop pipes
Temperatures dipped into single digits on Wednesday morning with Minden recording 7 degrees and a thermometer in Genoa reading 8 before sunrise.
The cold snap occurred across the West after unseasonably warm temperatures dominated much of October.
The first instance of frozen pipes accompanied the mercury plunging to 14 degrees on Monday morning.
A 1 p.m. water flow alarm was the first indication that a Minden motel’s pipes had frozen.
Well below average temperatures are expected to remain before it warms up a bit this weekend, forecasters said.
High temperatures in Carson Valley are expected to remain in the mid-50s this week.
Freezing pipes aren’t the only threat from chillier weather.
Cold temperatures have Carson Valley residents firing up their woodstoves and fireplaces.
Firefighters issued safety tips for use of stoves on Monday.
Heating equipment and improper ash disposal are leading causes of home and wildland fires during the fall and winter months.
To stay safe and warm this season consider following these safety tips:
■ Have heating equipment, chimney and stove inspected and cleaned by a certified chimney sweep every fall just before heating season.
■ Allow ashes to cool completely before disposing of them. Four days or 96 hours is the minimum recommended cooling period for ashes.
■ Place completely cooled ashes in a covered metal container. Keep the container at least 10 feet away from the home and other buildings. They should never be disposed of in a plastic garbage box or can, a cardboard box or paper grocery bag. Never use a vacuum cleaner to pick up ashes.
■ The metal container should be placed away from anything flammable. It should not be placed next to a firewood pile, up against or in the garage, on or under a wood deck, or under a porch.
■ After sitting for a week in the metal container, check them again to be sure they are cool. If so, the ashes are then safe to dispose of in your trash.
■ As a safety precaution keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet away from a fireplace, wood stove, or any other heating appliance, and create a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires. It is important to make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying, and never leave a fire unattended, particularly when children are present.
For more about fire safety, visit http://www.livingwithfire.com