Fire weather watch issued for Western Nevada on Friday
July 5, 2018
The National Weather Service in Reno has issued a fire weather watch from Friday afternoon through evening.
NWS predicts gusty winds and low humidity for the Western Nevada Sierra Front and Basin and range west of Lovelock and Fallon
Wednesday's forecast calls for winds southwest to west 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 35 mph with humidity between 8-15 percent.
"The combination of gusty winds and low humidity can cause fire to rapidly grow in size and intensity before first responders can contain them," NWS says.
Oudoor activities that can cause a spark near dry vegetation, such as yard work, target shooting, or campfires should be avoided. Follow local fire restrictions. Check weather.gov/reno for updates and livingwithfire.info for preparedness tips.
Trending In: Local
- Police helicopter clipping power lines will require Carson-Reno artery to close for two mornings to fix
- Band of aggressive wild horses up for gather next week
- 2010 Story Mom charged with leaving 12-year-old alone while she’s in LA
- Vacation rentals draw divided response
- Douglas Marines observe service’s birthday