Fire damages home of couple preparing for parenthood | RecordCourier.com

Fire damages home of couple preparing for parenthood

by Scott Neuffer
sneuffer@recordcourier.com

Smoke and heat from a house fire damaged the belongings of a young Ranchos couple preparing to have their first child, East Fork Fire & Paramedic Districts Capt. Terry Taylor reported on Tuesday.

“They had saved up and had been quietly planning for their baby,” Taylor said. “The house is in good shape, but everything inside is smoke damaged, and you can’t have that around babies.”

Aaron and Nicole Flesher, both in their 20s, were at Carson Tahoe Regional Medical Center in Carson City on Tuesday awaiting the birth of their first child.

Their rented house, at 789 Bluerock Road, caught fire around 8:15 a.m. on Nov. 8.

“The problem was in the water heater closet; the fire spread from the water heater,” Taylor said. “It was just an accident. They are nice, hardworking people.”

Taylor said Ranchos volunteer firefighter James Popio first spotted the fire.

“He saw smoke coming out of the attic vent, showed up and banged on their door, then called 911,” Taylor said. “He later got to fight the fire he reported.”

Fortunately, Taylor said, Nicole’s parents live up the street from the couple.

They’ve been able to stay there while juggling the aftermath of the fire with Nicole’s pregnancy. Taylor said friends and neighbors have been donating items for the newborn.

“As far as I know, we have a place to stay, and everything we need for the time being,” Aaron Flesher said Tuesday morning from the hospital. “Taylor’s wife gave us a changing table, a crib and rocker, and we got a new bed. Right now, I’m just focusing on taking care of my family.”