Fire damages Gardnerville duplex | RecordCourier.com

Fire damages Gardnerville duplex

by Kurt Hildebrand

An early morning fire ripped through the attic of a Gardnerville duplex rendering both units uninhabitable.

Resident Laurie Metwig, who lives at 1530 North Court, was awakened by her smoke detector at about 3:40 a.m. Saturday.

“The alarm went off and I told the firefighters to come fast,” she said while taking a break removing her belongings from her duplex.

When firefighters arrived smoke was pouring from the gable vent above a duplex where residents Nichole and Kevin Cottrell live with their 4 year old daughter.

The family was camping at Topaz Lake when the fire occurred.

Because they weren’t there, East Fork Fire Capt. Terry Taylor said units from Gardnerville and Minden had to break in and found the fire in the dining room and front hallway.

The two duplexes share an attic with no separation. Firefighters had to open up the roof of the duplex to extinguish the blaze.

Taylor said the fire was accidental, caused by an electrical problem.

Metwig received support from the American Red Cross. The five-year Gardnerville resident moved into the duplex three months ago.

“I’m fine,” said Metwig, who works the deli counter at Lira’s. “I had some smoke damage, but most of my stuff is fine.”

The Cottrell’s belongings suffered serious smoke and water damage. Taylor said neither family had renters’ insurance.