Faulty electric heater blamed for TRE fire | RecordCourier.com

Faulty electric heater blamed for TRE fire

Staff Reports

A faulty electric heater is being blamed for a fire that damaged a home in southern Douglas County on Thursday.

The first call was at 4:43 p.m. and reported smoke pouring out of the front door of a home at 1445 Topaz Ranch Estates Drive.

East Fork firefgihters arrived to find light smoke wisping from the doublewide mobile home.

"Upon investigation they found a fire burning in the living room area of the home, and a large amount of smoke throughout the remainder of the house," East Fork Battalion Chief Scott Fraser said. "The fire was extinguished in under 10 minutes."

Three engines, a water tender, an ambulance, and three command officers responded to the fire with a total of 14 personnel.

Fraser said the homeowners declined the services of the American Red Cross.

Recommended Stories For You

"There was light to moderate damage, mainly from smoke damaged contents, throughout the home," Fraser said. "There were no injuries to the homeowners, or fire personnel."

The fire was reported knocked down by 5:03 p.m. An investigator was called to determine the cause.

The 1,593-square-foot Silvercrest is 20 years old, according to the Douglas County Assessor's Office. It sits on 2.5 acres.

The community suffered from a three-hour power outage on Wednesday that affected 783 customers, according to NV Energy.