Family sues state in Mottsville fatality |

Family sues state in Mottsville fatality

Workers troubleshoot the traffic light at Highway 88 and Mottsville Lane on Nov. 28, 2015, the day after a fatal wreck the previous day.

The family of a Gardnerville woman killed in a collision last Thanksgiving weekend is suing the state for failing to fix the signal at Highway 88 and Mottsville Lane.

Janis Hill, 64, was crossing Highway 88 at Mottsville Lane on Nov. 27, 2015, when she was struck by another vehicle driven by Carson City resident Holly Ducoing, according to court documents.

Controls for the traffic signal and the streetlight that illuminates the intersection had been knocked out five hours earlier that day.

In a complaint filed on Tuesday, Hill’s husband and two daughters claim that a Nevada Department of Transportation employee stopped work to fix the signal before the 6:30 p.m. collision that claimed Hills’ life.

Workers from the Nevada Department of Transportation and a private contractor were working on the light. It was several days before the traffic signal was back online.

According to the Nevada Highway Patrol, Hill’s vehicle entered the intersection the same time as a vehicle driven south on Highway 88 by Carson City resident Ducoing, 22.

The front of the Taurus hit the left side of Hill’s BMW in the intersection. The wreck drove both vehicles into a northbound Honda SUV that was stopped at the intersection.

The crash that disabled the traffic signal at Highway 88 and Mottsville Lane at about 1:45 p.m., according to the Nevada Highway Patrol.

According to the county, there was a reader board alerting motorists the traffic light wasn’t functioning around 6 p.m., before the fatal accident.

The moon didn’t rise that night until 6:48 p.m., 20 minutes after the fatal was reported.

The traffic signal at 88 and Mottsville was installed in 2005.

Attorney Justin Clouser is representing Hills’ husband, David Simpson, and her daughters Amber and Lacey Hill.

Ducoing is also named as a defendant in the lawsuit, which was filed in Douglas County District Court.